Irish Whiskey Renaissance
23 operational distilleries in Ireland currently with at least 15 in development.
- 814,000 people visited the 12 distillery visitor centres on the island of Ireland in 2017.
- 923,000 people visited Ireland’s whiskey distilleries in 2018 – a 13.4% increase on 2017.
- At present over 650,000 visitors pass through Irish Whiskey visitor centres. The current Irish Whiskey Tourism Strategy aims to grow the annual visitor numbers by more than x3 by 2025.
- The industry is on track to reach its target of 1.9 million visitors by 2025 and is poised to hit 1m.
- Overseas visitors accounted for 88% of the 2018 total, with the largest number coming from the US and Canada (40%), followed by the UK (14%), Germany (8%) and France (7%). Visitors from the island of Ireland accounted for 12% of the total.
- In 2018, Jameson Distillery Dublin visitor numbers topped more than 350,000 from over seventy countries, making it the most-visited whiskey experience in the world.
- Irish whiskey continues to be the fastest growing spirit in the world and output is expected to grow to 25 million cases by 2030.